I love the bright green colours in this recipe. Can easily be made vegan by not including the cheese in the pesto.
These quantities served 4 portions as a side dish, so you might want to up the ingredients for more people or for a main meal.
- 150 g uncooked quinoa
- 2 Leeks
- 5 tablespoons of broccoli pesto
- Handful of toasted cashew nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 green pepper
- Tablespoon of olive oil
Broccoli pesto ingredients
- Around 6 – 9 stalks from purple sprouting broccoli
- Breadcrumbs from around 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of a lemon
- Sprinkling of parmesan style cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- Splash of olive oil
- Tiny amount of cayenne pepper (a quarter teaspoon or so)
Blend it all together – these quantities should make a small jar of pesto. You could sub the breadcrumbs for nuts etc, and you could leave the cheese out if you wanted.
1. Cook the quinoa until nutty with a little bit of bite.
2. Meanwhile, slice the leeks, garlic and green peper into medium sized pieces and cook in the olive oil in a frying pan until soft and tender.
3. Mix the broccoli pesto into the still warm quinoa. I added a dash of olive oil to help the mixing as my pesto was quite stiff.
4. Then add the leek mixture and stir into the quinoa and pesto mixture.
5. Toast your cashew nuts in the frying pan used for the leeks. When toasted mix into the quinoa and top with the lemon zest. Season to taste, and eat warm, or enjoy as a cold pack lunch.